Egg in a hole, egg in a basket, toad in a hole, hen in a nest, one-eyed Jack. Until recently I had never even heard of some of these crazy names for food. But no matter what, it doesn’t change the deliciousness of our dish we are sharing with you all today.
Call it what you want. Egg in a hole is about to go to a hole new level. Skip the bread slices today because we are changing up the recipe today and giving your taste buds a makeover.
No need to bake this dish in the oven, you can throw it together and use RoadPro Family of Brands frying pan. And let it cook while you get your coffee and get ready for the road. This dish may just stop traffic!
It can be tough while living over the road to eat healthy. But most certainly not impossible! First things first, stop telling yourself you can’t eat healthy over the road. Second, stop telling yourself you can’t cook healthy over the road.
This dish was featured at GATS 2019 in my presentation Fueling Your Rig, Fueling You- Eating Healthy Over The Road. And my new trucker friend Travis whipped (literally) this dish up in eight minutes.
Why eight minutes? Because, that is the amount of time on stage I gave him. And heck, if he could really make a dish in 8 minutes. I want to share about it!
And alongside our other featured dishes: Mongolian Beef, Asian Salad, and Spring Rolls this was a huge hit!
Egg in a Basket (Egg in an Avocado Basket)
I didn’t know what that was (full disclosure). But I did know what Egg in a Hole was. And the parameters I gave Travis was no bread and must be healthy.
Wow! His tweaks were out of this world HOME RUN! And I want to share that with you today!
This isn’t just a simple breakfast, this could be lunch or dinner. Anytime, anywhere, and yes, over the road, made in your truck!
EGGS IN A BASKET
Like this recipe?
Please share this recipe out with all your over the road friends!
For many breakfast is their favorite meal. But one reason I love this dish is because it could be lunch or dinner. And if you are intermittent fasting, or focusing on getting healthy fats and protein, this dish is for you!
Busy? At home? Or on the road, you can make this dish.
This is a really healthy and filling breakfast, and take it from Travis, it only takes 8 minutes, and less than that to eat!
Ingredients for Eggs in a Basket
3 🥑 Avocados
3 crushed tomatoes or 1 jar of chunky marinara sauce
1 bag of spinach
1 onion chopped (don’t have onion tried dried onion flakes)
1 green pepper chopped
1 tbsp minced garlic (no garlic, try dehydrated garlic)
1/2 cup of Parmesan
1/2 cup of feta cheese
Basil to taste/ garnish with diced tomatoes
1 carton of eggs
HOW TO MAKE EGGS IN A BASKET AVOCADO
- Make sure the griddle is hot in order to get the bread nice and crispy.
- Start with a ripe avocado, you can check how ripe it is by noticing if it is firm yet you can squeeze it a bit. And also notice if the belly button (where the stem used to be) is poking out. If it is, the avocado is ripe.
- Slice lengthwise and pull the pit out.
- Scoop out the fruit. And then cut the avocado into slices so there is a hole to put the egg into once in the pan.
- You can choose your thickness depending on how many you want to make.
- Pour the marinara in frying pan and add spices.
- Place avocado slices in the marinara.
- Crack eggs carefully and place eggs into the holes of the avocados.
- Use fresh eggs, preferably Organic eggs. Kwik Trip and Kwik Star Stores sell fresh eggs which is fantastic for this recipe.
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper.
HOW TO SERVE EGGS IN A BASKET?
Freshly cracked black pepper is enough, but you can also drizzle some sriracha on top while serving.
YUM! I prefer crispy bacon to go along with my meal. You can also serve it with our delicious Asian Salad
Tools used to make Eggs in a Basket
Griddle: We recommend Road Pro Family of brands frying pan.
You can often find them at participating TA-Petro Truck Stops.
Now this portioning will easily feed you and your trucker friends.
So feel free to reduce the quantity in half to meet your needs.
This is a delicious way to still enjoy Eggs in a Basket without all the bread and empty calories.